Friday, November 23, 2007

Never Taser A Rottweiler

I learned so much from my relatives during a fantastic thanksgiving feast my nephew's wife made for our extended family. 

I learned that while a taser can stop a human being cold, it just makes a Rottweiler mad. So I vow to never taser a Rottweiler. 

For the first time since we've been in Florida, Shannon and I didn't host the big family feast. Consider that when you're doing your retirement planning. If you choose a big house with lots of bedrooms and a pool, you're likely to host more than your share of family gatherings. 

We drove to their lovely home. We were guests at the party. I loved it. Hosting is hard work. When you're hosting, you run around seeing that everyone has everything they want. When you're a guest, you get waited on, and you have time to talk and listen to the conversations. 

Since we moved to this delightful CCRC (continuing care retirement community) we no longer have the biggest house, so the next generation has stepped up. My nephew and his wife did Thanksgiving. My son and his wife will do Christmas, and Easter is to be announced.  But, it won't be at our house. 

One of the benefits of reaching your seventies is a future filled with being a guest. I've compared living at The Glenridge to resort living, because it really feels like a retirement resort. I feel like a guest in our retirement community. All our needs seem to be anticipated, and built into the single monthly fee. 

I like being a guest. I loved hosting when I was younger. But, now, I love being a guest. If I weren't a guest on thanksgiving, I wouldn't have learned to never taser a Rottweiler. 

I hope your holiday was delightful and filled with interesting conversations. 

Yours for a fun filled, stimulating retirement experience. 

Ken Johnston 

P.S. If the term CCRC is new to you, find out about them. They are the next great thing in retirement living. Ours is pretty full, but their web site will show you what is possible in a Florida retirement community. Sarasota CCRC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I object to the name of your blog! I agree that living at the Glenridge is like living in a resort, but I don't like calling it "The Last Resort."

Anonymous said...

A belated Welcome to The Glenridge. We were the first couple to move into The Glenridge along with a single lady on Nov. 18, 2003. Everything you said in your blog has been our our exact feelings and experiences and I can honestly say that most members also echo your sentiments.