Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Funny Retirement Poem

Here's a sample Funny Retirement Poem

An ode to old age:

There's quite an art to falling apart as the years go by,
And life doesn't begin at 40. That's a big fat lie.
My hair's getting thinner, my body is not:
The few teeth I have are beginning to rot. 

I smell of Vick's Vapo Rub, not Chanel #5;
My new pacemaker's all that keeps me alive.
When asked of my past, every detail I'll know,
But, what was I doing 10 minutes ago?

Well, you get the idea, what more can I say?
I'm off to read the obituary, like I do every day;
If my names there, I'll once again start - 
perfecting the art of falling apart. 

(author unknown)

This, like many other funny retirement poems, paints a sad picture of retirement. 
 
I'd like to show retirees there is a different life in a CCRC that focuses on lifelong learning and activities that stimulate. 

I invite anyone interested in lifelong learning, healthy activities, and rewarding community activities to check out the incredible CCRC that we were lucky enough to get into. I'm not selling our community, heck, they may be sold out. It's probably too late now for anything except a waiting list. 

I'm suggesting that people search for continuing care retirement communities that focus on life enrichment, lifelong learning, and building community. Ours is just a good example of what to look for. 

If you want the remainder of your life to be filled with kick the balloon and old people's jokes, there are plenty of retirement homes that will fill the bill. 

If you want life enrichment, lifelong learning, and stimulating, vibrant and interesting people, look for a CCRC that aims for an enriched offering of stimulating opportunities. 

Yours for a retirement full of fascinating people and lifelong learning,

Ken Johnston

P.S. For a good example of what's possible click on: A Great Example of Life Enrichment


1 comment:

Missy the elder said...

Here's another funny retirement poem

Thought I'd let my doctor check me,
'Cause I didn't feel quite right. . .
All those aches and pains annoyed me
And I couldn't sleep at night.

He could find no real disorder
But he wouldn't let it rest.
What with Medicare and Blue Cross,
We would do a couple tests.

To the hospital he sent me
Though I didn't feel that bad.
He arranged for them to give me
Every test that could be had.

I was fluoroscoped and cystoscoped,
My aging frame displayed.
Stripped, on an ice cold table,
While my gizzards were x-rayed.

I was checked for worms and parasites,
For fungus and the crud,
While they pierced me with long needles
Taking samples of my blood.

Doctors came to check me over,
Probed and pushed and poked around,
And to make sure I was living
They then wired me for sound.

They have finally concluded,
Their results have filled a page.
What I have will someday kill me;
My affliction is old age.